Friday, January 30, 2009

Learning to Mold/Cast

'08's summer I learned a whole new world. How to mold, and cast objects. The method I used is pretty pre-historic, compared to the complex process of other materials, such as Foam Latex.

Basically, you sculpt whatever it is. Then you get plaster of paris (the material for stepping stones, and drywalls) and mix it with water, then plunge your piece in there. I ONLY have done open back molds, meaning, you cant cast anything with a different shaped back, other then flat.
I use liquid latex, firm grade, from Monstermakers, for my casting material. I then pour it into my dryed out mold (let the mold set for 24 hours) all the way to the top. Wait a half-hour. Then dump it back in. It will leave a thick "skin" on the mold. Wait 3-4 hours an remove from the mold. You should now have your sculpt, just in latex.

I started with something simple, a half of a Batman Begins Gauntlet (Forearm guard) fin.

Here is the object I am molding. A Batman begins fin, cut out of a cereal box, and glued together.

















After molding one side.
























Never got a good latex cast out of this, so no pics.